Tuesday 8 March 2011

Working on Final Portfolio

Just in case you were wondering (which I doubt) I am still plonding on with my final set of images. As I thought it is definitely more of a challenge. Lots of things, and the usual suspects, time, weather... work and family getting in the way....

Add to that I have definite ideas of places I want to go, some I know well, others not at all. I have no idea what the best time of day will be for the light and even with those I do if the cloud cover is too much I am stuffed! Being real places, real views I am stuck with what nature and architects have left me to contend with! I can't re-adjust buildings, move posts or trees, so have really got to look at framing, think about white balance, dynamic range and all the other skills learnt along the path to assignment 5.

This had led me to do a few journeys, or lots of different angles taken in one journey and the results inspected once home. Some I have been happy with and others I have gone back and re-shot. Six sorted so far (I think) and the test shots uploaded to my facebook page. It's been quite good to get some feedback from non-photographers who just look at an image and see it for what it is without giving the critique and others who appreciate the odd idea...one girl at work said in amazement "You went all the way to Margate to take a photograph of SHOES?" Wouldn't somewhere closer have done? But I explained I wanted the photos to mean something, yes I could lie, go anywhere and say these were places from my memories but then would I have tried so hard with the composition? The memories matter to me so I want the images to matter too. Hopefully those feelings will come through. I think they do. Another friend commented that they felt a lot of stories were behind the images that they could only guess at. As well as the inspiration of Joy Gregory I think that the following Beatles lyrics also sum up what I am trying to say and where I am trying to go with my final portfolio.

There are places I remember
All my life though some have changed
Some forever, not for better
Some have gone and some remain

All these places have their moments
With lovers and friends I still can recall
Some are dead and some are living
In my life I've loved them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment